Sunday, April 22, 2012

the water has warmed

The weather has been excellent in the valley lately so i hit a local pond hoping for some warm water species on the fly. Only fished for 3 hours and ended up with 50+ bluegill  All very aggressive,hard fighting and most were very fat and quite large. I was also surprised with a half dozen crappie nice and a perch. I saw fish moving around in shallow water, eating damselfly nymphs and such. Most effective areas were shaded spots, coves and weed lines i would just cast the fly and use slow long strips or simply pull my rod towards my side and the fish would smash my fly. Fly of the day was a #12 possie  bugger,also caught 2 fish on a peacock soft hackle, They were not very willing to take dries But man it was a blast.  I want to say that The  Pictures do not do most of these fish justice..  They were a handful on my little 4wt it was bent in half with every fish! i got so bored with taking pictures so eventually i turned the camera,But here are a few decent ones and some of the smaller fish  this will keep me held over for the trout opener next saturday..atleast i hope















No comments:

Post a Comment